Sunday, March 23, 2014

Up Home

My childhood is filled with many memories of trips "Up Home" - that is to say Ellijay, the place where both my maternal grandparents were born and raised.  I fondly recall family reunions at Fort Mountain, homecoming at the small church down the road from the house where my grandmother grew up, rides on the four wheeler down dirt roads and across the creek, and playing on the tire swing behind my Great Grandma Sales' house.  The drive up was always filled with Papaw singing along with the old gospel songs playing in the old station wagon, and the highlight of the trip home was always the stop at the local Dairy Queen for some ice cream (but only after Papaw received his payment: one kiss on the cheek).  I remember being scared to go to the bathroom at my Aunt Mary Ruth and Uncle Don's house because of the stuffed hawk I had to pass on the way.  I remember exploring old dirt roads for no other purpose than to see what was at the other end and to find some of those beautiful orange lilies that grow so well on the side of the road to dig up and bring home to plant.  And the food.  Oh, the food.  It was always some of the best food I had ever put into my mouth.  Maybe it was that it was all freshly grown in the garden or maybe it was that it was always so lovingly prepared and offered, but either way, I would always fall asleep on the way home with a full belly and a happy heart.  But as good as the food was, it was always outdone by the people who prepared it.  Hard-working, humble, unpretentious, kindhearted, salt-of-the-earth people.  The type of people who squeezed you like they meant it when they hugged you.  The kind of people who would give you the shirt off their back - without you asking and with a smile.  Needless to say, I'm proud to say that this place and these people are where I come from.
Caleb was able to finally make his first trip to Ellijay just a few weeks ago to see the place that holds such a prominent place in my heart.  Here he is playing with his cousin Logan.  These pictures pretty well show Logan's personality:  non-stop energy.

And here are four generations:  Mamaw, my mom, me, and Caleb.

I hope and pray that Caleb will come to appreciate what a special place "Up Home" is and will strive to be like the people who make it so special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment