Saturday, December 23, 2017

White Christmas

People who know me know that I do not like snow.  Yes, it's pretty, and it's fun to play in for a short while.  But the havoc it wreaks on our Georgia roads just ruins any plans that you may have unfortunately scheduled on the snow day.  More often than not, it's accompanied by black ice and treacherous roads.  For a Type A personality with a long list of things to accomplish in a day's time, a snow day is not something that we hope and pray for.
So this past December 8, when the weathermen were calling for a light dusting of snow, I kept on trucking with my plans, thinking it would likely be nothing to write home about.  When it started snowing, I was south of Atlanta at a continuing education course.  When I started to get the text messages stating that school was releasing early and that snow was starting to accumulate on the road in front of our house (plus the cute videos of my kids sledding), I started getting a bit worried.  We left the conference about noon to head home, and thankfully, the roads, though they looked a little slick, were fine to drive on.  I arrived home to several inches of snow, and we got a few more inches overnight and the next morning.  We probably got 7-8 inches total over the two days.  It was beautiful!


Wren loved being in the snow.






Judson preferred to stay inside the garage.



Caleb mostly enjoyed it, but he would get a bit whiny if he got too cold.  I can't say that I blame him.


We played outside multiple times over the two day snow event.  We even had to endure a three hour power outage...I know, we were really roughing it.






This was probably the most snow that I've seen since the infamous Blizzard of '93...and maybe the only significant snow I've seen so early in December.  And you know what was kind of neat? Singing along to the Christmas songs like Sleigh Ride, Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, and White Christmas when there was actually snow on the ground.  I think I get the appeal of a white Christmas.
And this snow was nice because it didn't make the roads impassable in our area.  So even though it had just snowed more than most years, the kids were able to go out with Uncle Brent, Aunt Beth, Shayla and Kalli to see Christmas lights, as planned.  They had a ball!














I could get used to a white Christmas...so long as it doesn't interfere with the holiday festivities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment