Sunday, March 29, 2020

Social Distancing, Week 2

Second verse, same as the first.  That means more homeschooling, working from home, yard work, virtual meetings with all sorts of people, chores, art, cooking, music, and, of course, baseball.


The kids, who have not left the house in I don't know how many days (14? 21? I've lost count), have started noticing that something is weird.  They can no longer play with all their pals in the cul-de-sac as was their custom of late and must instead talk to them from the driveway.  Wren has asked, "What happened to my teacher?"  I guess she thinks that she has not been going to school because something happened to her.  Judson, with much eagerness in his voice, will often ask at the end of the day, "Am I going to school tomorrow?"  No.  "Church?"  No.  "The gym?"  No.  Caleb has lamented how he misses his teachers and his friends.  But we're hanging in there.
Princess step class.


Chores.



Our house, on the other hand, may not be left standing by the end of all of this.  Three rambunctious kids with nowhere to go leave a wake of destruction in every room they enter.  We've had blood stains, things jammed into the air vents, permanent markers on the couch and kitchen table, holes in the screen door, etc.  And each day this list grows a little longer.

 We also found a snake in the yard!



With all of the extra time on all of our hands, we've all been sleeping a bit more.  After all, it's good for the immune system...and it's a great way to kill some time until a more normal life can resume.  I've also had a bit more time for reflection.  You know on important things - like the Frozen 2 soundtrack.  I've noticed that many of the songs fit with our current situation.  For example, the song "When I Am Older" has the very wise words:
"One day when I'm old and wise
I'll look back and realize
that these were all completely normal events...
So there's no need to be terrified or tense
I'll just dream about a time
When I'm in my aged prime
'Cause when you're older
Absolutely everything makes sense!"
Right....
Or what about "The Next Right Thing:"
"I've seen dark before
But not like this
This is cold
This is empty
This is numb
The life I knew is over...
But you must go on
And do the next right thing...
And with the dawn, what comes then?
When it's clear that everything will never be the same again
Then I'll make the choice
To hear that voice
And do the next right thing."
Or what about when it's time to venture out into (gasp!) a public place for food or toilet paper, "Into the Unknown:"
"Everyone I've ever loved is here within these walls
I'm sorry, secret siren, but I'm blocking out your calls
I've had my adventure, I don't need something new
I'm afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you
Into the Unknown!"
Maybe I'm slightly off my rocker after having to watch my mom's grandkids for all of these many days in a row, but it helps me.  I highly recommend turning on the soundtrack and belting out the lyrics as a family.  It's one of our favorite pastimes.
And my personal favorite song from the soundtrack for these times?  "Some Things Never Change:"
"Yes, the wind blows a little bit colder
And we're all getting older
And the clouds are moving on with every autumn breeze...
That's why I rely on certain certainties
Yes, some things never change
Like the feel of your hand in mine
Like how we get along just fine
Like an old stone wall that'll never fall
Some things are always true
Some things never change
Like how I'm holding on tight to you...
These days are precious
Can't let them slip away
I can't freeze this moment
But I can still go out and seize this day...
Though the future remains unknown
May our good luck last
May our past be past
Time's moving fast, it's true
Some things never change
And I'm holding on tight to you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment