Monday, April 27, 2020

Social Distancing, Weeks 5 and 6

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us..."  These are the first lines of one of my favorite books, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, and I've found my mind returning time and again to these words recently.  While these words were written to describe the time of the French Revolution, they are also quite apropos now.
While some people are losing their lives, others their loved ones, and many more their livelihood, others, like us, are blessed with a jubilee of sorts - a break from the daily grind and an extended, unprecedented time of renewal.  I've seen so many people out walking with their families, exercising, playing in their front yards, rocking on the front porch.  There's no rush, no deadlines, nowhere to be.  So while I would not wish this pandemic on anyone and while I mourn with those who have been so deeply affected, I am thankful - thankful for more time with my children and husband, thankful that I can enjoy the beautiful spring weather, thankful that we're healthy and have all that we need, thankful that the most pressing question on most days is where we should take a walk or what to cook for dinner.  My house has never been so organized.  My yard has never been so manicured.  My tan has never looked this good this early in the year.  In a way, my heart has never known such a deep sense of contentment.  It certainly has me asking questions as to what is important and what we should make time for when all returns to normal.
Don't get me wrong - I will be the first one out in public when it's allowed, but, in the meantime, I continue to count my blessings, for they are many, and continue not to let this time be wasted.
The past two weeks have been a parade of days filled with (mostly) sweet sunshine and happy giggles (and sometimes whiney cries).  We've hiked to the top of Amicalola Falls (even Judson made it all the way on his own!), practiced riding bikes, fashioned sculptures from aluminum foil, designed chalk art, feasted in many a picnic, and practiced much baseball.

































Many memories have been made.  And for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment