Sunday, September 4, 2022

Determination

 The other day I found a to-do list on the kitchen counter.  It read as follows:

1. 20 minutes workout [check mark]

2. 20 minutes music [check mark]

3. 20 minutes write [check mark]

4. 20 minutes pet cats

5. 20 minutes do whatever you want

But for the sprawling first-grader handwriting in marker on construction paper, I might have thought this one of my to-do lists.  But, alas, this to-do list belonged to none other than Wren.  This type-A mom was thrilled that my daughter has adopted creating (and marking off) to-do lists just like her mom.  She has also clearly learned the value of scheduling and making time for things you consider important.  I was so proud.  There is clear reason why Tony calls her "Little Blonde Alicia."

Just a few days later, she arrived home from karate practice in tears.  Her brothers had been able to break a board with their swing kick, but she had been unable to do so.  She thought she was a failure.  But...she was not to be broken by this set back.  Instead, she set a goal for herself and began to work for it.  The next day I found this list:

For those who cannot read first-grader, it says the following:
Workout:
1. 10 flips off 
2. 40 front flips
3. 30 chin up pullovers
4. 50 back flips
5. whatever you want
Next to the exercises is the playlist:  Roar, Someday, and Better When I'm Dancing.
Check marks next to it all.  
For those who don't know, this looks very similar to lists and playlists that I create for my workouts and classes.  In fact, this started very young for me too.  When I was in the seventh grade, I came up with a similar very exhaustive trampoline exercise program in order to help me run the mile in under 7:30.
Not only did she make such an ambitious workout, but she executed it until her next karate class and her next opportunity to try to earn a stripe by breaking a board with her swing kick.  Just like I was able to break 7:30 on the mile, she broke that board in karate class.  
The effectiveness of using gymnastics moves to help with karate (or trampoline jumping to help with running) may be somewhat questionable, but the determination behind the girl is not questionable but is rock solid.  
Look out world.  She is Wren - hear her roar!


No comments:

Post a Comment