Saturday, November 3, 2018

Happy Halloween!

Halloween was this past week, and, as you may have noticed from past years, I don't do a good job with Halloween.  I've definitely received awards for "least-dressed-up-child-at-school" category(remember the paltry dinosaur headband and tail from two years ago in the otherwise elaborate preschool parade?) and "I-clearly-forgot-about-Halloween-costumes-until-last-night" category (remember the lumberjack - an idea stolen from my sister at the last minute - from last year's preschool parade?).  Last year the kids trick-or-treated in matching pajamas with skeleton bones on them - because we happened to have those on hand (and, hey, they were already ready for bed when we came home!).  I don't know what to say.  I guess Halloween is just not really my thing.
This year was only slightly better than the past years and that's really only because I actually invested in some face paint...at the insistence of Caleb, who insisted on being Darth Maul.  So I attempted to make him into a Star Wars character that I have never actually seen or know anything about.  I guess it could have been worse...

This was after rubbing his face (on my walls and furniture, of course) several times, so it's a little imprecise.  But I can promise you that it didn't look much better than this even in its best shape.  But at least we had the costume to go with it (something that we already had on hand) and at least Caleb was happy with it.
Wren only wanted to be a princess.  We had "official" princess dresses that she could have worn, but she insisted on a new pink dress she received for her birthday.  She didn't want any face paint (thankfully) - just her crown and her pearls.
 We had good intentions for Judson, but it just didn't work out.  I was going to re-use that dinosaur snout and tail from the days of yore but we were also going to paint his face.  Unfortunately, the dinosaur snout that we had waiting for that night had been confiscated and hidden in an undisclosed location (probably by Judson himself).  As for the face paint, well, you can see that it was just enough to make him look a little queasy.  The end result?  He was a sickly wild child with a green tail.  He didn't seem to mind.
Maybe one day I'll do better on the costumes...or not...
Either way, it was a happy Halloween for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment